Doug Chapman recently presented “What In The World Is Going On With Fats?” to Women In Food Industry Management. Sixty plus members were treated to a presentation on changing attitudes to trans fats and saturated fats and how omega-3 fatty acids are leading functional foods growth. An active Q and A session followed.
Requests for copies of the presentation lead to “What In The World Is Going On with Fats?” being posted below.
“What In The World Is Going On With Fats?” content:
- Attention getting, high fat foods from the fall fair circuit – Yikes!
Terminology and Background Information
- fat versus oil
- what are saturated, unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats
- cis and trans fats
- omega-3, omega-6 omega-9 oils
- two industrial processes important to trans fats:
- hydrogenations – the cause
- interesterification – part of the solution
Functionality of Fats in Foods
- what do fats do and why are they in foods?
Market Information on Label Claims
- which label claims are growing?
- hint: check out probiotics and omega-3
- do consumers believe health claims on labels?
- 30 years ago versus today
- seminal research paper published in 1990 on the impact of trans on HDL and LDL cholesterol
- how to remove trans fat from food
- saturated fats are on the opposite trajectory from trans
- science is questioning the link to CHD and CVD
- carbohydrate may be the real problem
Tropical Oils Issue
- interesting events from 1989 where an individual successfully moved the food industry off coconut and palm oils and onto partially hydrogenated vegetable oils
- could the trans fat problem be lurking here?
Omega – 3 Fatty Acids
- health benefits
- market for omega – 3 oils
- are more consumers choosing functional foods?
- foods on the market fortified with omega – 3’s
- dietary sources
- food ingredient sources
- practical challenges for the developer
Download the presentation here: